Gear up for May is Bike Month! Established in 1956, National Bike Month has been celebrated around the country since its founding. Whether you bike to work or school; ride to save money or time; pump those pedals to preserve your health or the environment; or simply to explore your community, Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride.
Willamalane, City of Springfield and many other organizations are partnering to offer the community opportunities to explore our robust bike path network. “It’s the perfect time of year to roll your bikes out of the garage, pump up the tires and grease the chain,” said Kerry Jack, Willamalane’s outdoor recreation supervisor. “We have events coming up that are great for beginners on up to seasoned riders.”
Get rolling on May is Bike Month with these events:
- Get inspired with a month’s worth of activities! Stamp the May is Bike Month Bingo Card and win raffle prizes in June. Download the pdf
- Travel to Camp Putt by bike for $2 off your mini golf game during the month of May.
- Celebrate Mother’s Day and empower the future of women in cycling during Cyclofemme, our Mother’s Day event on May 12.
- See if your business has a team enrolled in the Business Commute Challenge, May 12–18. If there isn’t a team established, consider becoming a team captain!
- Stop by the boat ramp at Northbank Path for free bike safety checks at Wheels by the Willamette on May 18.
- Join Willamalane, Springfield Safe Routes to Schools and more partners for “A Trail of Two Cities” Family Bike Ride, exploring the bike paths that connect Springfield and Eugene on May 20.
- Introduce a kid to the adventure-filled world of mountain biking in Mountain Bike Basics for Kids, May 26.